Monday, January 12, 2015

While I Was Gone...

So I kind of fell off the internet.  It's that Christmas crafting rush, but mine starts before Thanksgiving, and then I'm just pooped.  I make things, but just don't feel doing the last step, blogging them.  Luckily, I kept up with the photographing, so now that I have my mojo back, I still have pictures of stuff that I've sent away.

So now I can show you what I was up to when I was away!



This was the second center I've worked on for our Round Trip Quilts Bee.  (The first one is here.)  Jenn, from  Never Just Jennifer, and I was in love with it the second she posted it to Instagram.  I was glad I didn't have to wait long to get my hands on it.

She's a fellow New Hampshire-ite, and wanted a quilt that was all about our awesome state.  Her notebook was full of great ideas, like those maple leaves, mountains, snowflakes, and flying geese.  I got this at the height of geese migration when all the fields are full of flocks coming and going, so I had to do some flying geese.


I first added that strip of red to tie in the red maple leaves Leanne had added and then started pulling all my bright and low volume scraps to make the geese.  I really didn't have a solid plan or pattern, just made geese in a bunch of sizes, then moved them around until I got a pattern I liked.  (My one regret, is that pointed the geese flying out of the corner, and not into it in proper flying "v" formation.  Next time!)


The last step was the corner.  Red again to mirror that red maple leaf, and some Anna Maria Horner blue.  It's called Migratory Lace, so I kind of had to use it prominently, and it reminds me of trail maps, and NH has some great hiking and skiing trails!

I love this one, and can't wait to see what happens to it next!

12 comments:

  1. Welcome back, what a beautiful addition to Jennifer's quilt. I look forward to seeing what you were up to - how excellent that you took photos... because I'm so curious about what you were working on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! What a fun suprise to have this pop up in my blog reader today! I absolutely LOVE it! And I love reading about why you made each decision! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! This is so amazing! Traveling quilts are the best. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great. Do you add just two sides at a time? Instead of all four sides?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes blogging takes just as much time as making a whole quilt! I'm still trying to figure out how to juggle the both of them.

    Love your addition to the compass. I think this is one of my favourites in your group!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! I really like this combo of patterns, fabrics and all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what you added :) Working on some "Live Free or Die" letters now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really love your addition - I wouldn't have thought of it and it works perfectly. Pinning photo for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never heard of a travelling quilt. Where have I been? It's beautiful. Your add on works!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the different sizes of geese, and I love the colours you chose.

    ReplyDelete

Go on! Comment! I love reading what you think! -m